Monday 16 December 2013

Cute as a Button Shortbread Cookies

Christmas is next week!  I am feeling really excited and not stressed at all this year.  I've been enjoying decorating and baking and going to Christmas concerts and parties.  I don't have a stand by, make every year, Christmas baking recipe yet, but I'm working on it.  My husband loves shortbread.  I don't mind it but it's not irresistible to me.  But that's OK, then I can keep my fingers out of the cookie jar.  I wanted to try something a little more fun for the ones that I would be sharing.  Here's what I came up with...



I used a standard shortbread recipe

2 cups butter
1 cup icing sugar
3 cups flour
1 cup cornstarch
2 tsp vanilla extract
  • Cream together butter and icing sugar
  • Combine flour and cornstarch - add to butter and mix until smooth without over-mixing
  • Add vanilla while mixing
  • Divide dough into 2 equal portions
  • Using Wilton Icing Color, add the desired color to each section and knead in until blended
  • Wrap each ball in plastic wrap and chill for 30 min (can be frozen and used at a later time)
  • When ready to bake, preheat oven to 300 F and line 2 cookie sheets with parchment paper
  • Between 2 sheets of parchment, roll out the first color until about 1/4 inch thick (if your dough is over chilled, you might have to let it rest at room temp for a while or you will hurt yourself trying to roll it out)
  • Using a larger circle cutter (mine was about 3") cut out 12 rounds and place on cookie sheet

  • Using a smaller circle cutter (about 2") cut out the middles and place on a separate sheet
 
  • Put the first tray back in the fridge while you roll out your second color and cut out the shapes
  • If your rings crack like mine did you can gently press them back together before baking
  • Put the opposite color center in each ring
 
  • Using a straw, poke out 2 (or 4) holes in each middle
 
  • I kept one sheet in the fridge as I worked so they are chilled when they go in the oven and won't spread out
  • Bake at 300 F for 12 min (Don't over bake)
  • Allow to rest on cookie sheet for a couple minutes before transferring to a cooling rack

 This made 5 dozen with a few to taste.

I think I'll add this to the annual baking list.  They could be done in any color combo and used for any occasion; baby shower perhaps?

With a Bushel and a Peck of Christmas Baking,

Stephanie

No comments:

Post a Comment